Job Listings and Openings
If you have questions about our job openings, feel free to email us at [email protected]
Graphic Design Intern
The Beirut Urban Lab is looking for graphic design students to fill paid internship positions during the Summer period and the Winter session 2020. Interested students should be enrolled in their third year of study within the Graphic Design program at the Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, AUB. If you are a Graphic Design student in another university, feel free to send us a letter of interest with a portfolio of work.
The selected student will join the Lab's Critical Mapping team, working on the conceptualization, design and production of maps, infographics and other data visualizations related to research around urban issues. They will also assist in designing Lab publications, presentations, event posters and other communication material.
More specifically, the tasks could include:
- Experimenting with graphic coding and visualization ideas for different sets of data.
- Trying out typographic palettes and developing icons for different maps and infographics.
- Laying out maps and diagrams and preparing for both print and digital publishing.
- Sketching design directions and implementing design ideas for communication on talks, workshops or exhibitions.
- Applying the identity and house style of the Lab on different presentations, publications and event communication material (posters, invites, social media posts…).
Length and Compensation
This is a paid internship opportunity for a period of at least six weeks full time, as required by the Graphic Design Program at AUB. If the internship is to be conducted remotely, in part or in full, some adjustments will be made to the length of the internship period following guidelines set by the Program. Positions are available during Summer (within June, July, August period) and during the Winter session (January, extending into the first two weeks of the Fall semester). The Lab is ready to accept extended internship applications beyond the required period for up to 3 months during Summer, fully paid. Each intern will be compensated at 1,200,000 LBP / month.
Graduate Research Assistant
Position is open for
Students currently enrolled in the Master's program in Urban Planning and Policy or Urban Design, on a full time basis; or students newly admitted to the program.
If you currently are a Master's student at the MUPP\MUD program, we might have GRA opportunities for you!
You will have to work on one of the Lab's current research projects for your thesis in either Urban Planning or Urban Design. Please contact one of the professors listed below to inquire about opportunities and state your subjects of interest. You'll then have a conversation about possible topics for your thesis, as well as funding possibilities.
Part of your tuition will be covered, and you will receive a semester-based stipend.
Senior Graphic Designer - Mapping and Visualization
The Beirut Urban Lab is looking to hire a full-time senior mapping and data visualization designer to work at the Urban lab's visualization unit which produces maps, infographics and other data visualizations accompanying research efforts carried out by the Lab.
The designer's main task will be to conceptualize, design and produce maps and other infographics, supporting research efforts around urban issues such as building developments in Beirut, protection of the seafront, urban recovery, urban governance, public spaces, and others. The Lab is currently building an online urban observatory with multiple geo-referenced outputs about recovery in post-blast Beirut, which is the primary project the designer will be working on.
This person will work with and report to the Critical Mapping Research Lead.
- Engage in discussion sessions with research teams to better understand research results and/or directions
- Work within a small design team to propose visualization directions for a particular dataset or project
- Coordinate regularly with data/GIS and field research teams in the lab
- Refine, edit and finalize maps and data visualizations based on decisions taken by the team
- Prepare final artwork of maps aimed for either publishing in print or web (geo-portal, newspaper article, book, exhibition, website, etc.)
- Occasionally assist in the logistics for organizing events around data visualization and mapping
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Graphic design, Communication Design, Urban design, Architecture, or a related design discipline. Undergraduate degrees with equivalent experience could be considered.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign…) is required, knowledge of web publishing software is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital mapping platforms and GIS is also required, at least at an introductory level to facilitate initial training in the Lab’s licensed mapping tools (ESRI ArcGIS products).
- Candidates need to be able to work in English, Arabic is a plus.
The contract is for one year, renewable. Compensation is commensurate with education and relevant experience.
Please send your CV and portfolio with a cover letter stating your interest in the job to [email protected], using the line “Urban Lab Design Position" in the email title. Applications will be reviewed regularly and evaluation will be conducted on rolling basis, until position is filled.