Job Listings and Openings
If you have questions about our job openings, feel free to email us at [email protected]
Senior Graphic Designer - Mapping and Visualization
The Beirut Urban Lab is looking to hire a full-time senior mapping and data visualization designer to work at the Urban lab's visualization unit which produces maps, infographics and other data visualizations accompanying research efforts carried out by the Lab.
The designer's main task will be to conceptualize, design and produce maps and other infographics, supporting research efforts around urban issues such as building developments in Beirut, protection of the seafront, urban recovery, urban governance, public spaces, and others. The Lab is currently building an online urban observatory with multiple geo-referenced outputs about recovery in post-blast Beirut, which is the primary project the designer will be working on.
This person will work with and report to the Critical Mapping Research Lead.
- Engage in discussion sessions with research teams to better understand research results and/or directions
- Work within a small design team to propose visualization directions for a particular dataset or project
- Coordinate regularly with data/GIS and field research teams in the lab
- Refine, edit and finalize maps and data visualizations based on decisions taken by the team
- Prepare final artwork of maps aimed for either publishing in print or web (geo-portal, newspaper article, book, exhibition, website, etc.)
- Occasionally assist in the logistics for organizing events around data visualization and mapping
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Graphic design, Communication Design, Urban design, Architecture, or a related design discipline. Undergraduate degrees with equivalent experience could be considered.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign…) is required, knowledge of web publishing software is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital mapping platforms and GIS is also required, at least at an introductory level to facilitate initial training in the Lab’s licensed mapping tools (ESRI ArcGIS products).
- Candidates need to be able to work in English, Arabic is a plus.
The contract is for one year, renewable. Compensation is commensurate with education and relevant experience.
Please send your CV and portfolio with a cover letter stating your interest in the job to [email protected], using the line “Urban Lab Design Position" in the email title. Applications will be reviewed regularly and evaluation will be conducted on rolling basis, until position is filled.
Graduate Research Assistant
Position is open for
Students currently enrolled in the Master's program in Urban Planning and Policy or Urban Design, on a full time basis; or students newly admitted to the program.
If you currently are a Master's student at the MUPP\MUD program, we might have GRA opportunities for you!
You will have to work on one of the Lab's current research projects for your thesis in either Urban Planning or Urban Design. Please contact one of the professors listed below to inquire about opportunities and state your subjects of interest. You'll then have a conversation about possible topics for your thesis, as well as funding possibilities.
Part of your tuition will be covered, and you will receive a semester-based stipend.